On Turning 53 Today
Today, September 4, 2005, is my 53rd birthday. I will not rewrite the post that I had written a year ago on my birthday, in which I had explained the rather unusual circumstances that had surrounded my birth. Here is a picture of me, with my mom and my brother, François-Xavier. I think that it was taken around April, 1953, and I was still not a "well" baby by then (I still weighed only 4.5 kgs, or about 9.9 lbs by the time I was 7 month old - sorry for the poor quality of the picture, the original was not that great, and I tried to doctor it up, to the best of my ability, on Paint Shop Pro):

I still do not find this birthday as traumatic as my 50th, even though I am nearing 55 at a rather alarming pace. I often think that I do not feel one day older than when I was 18, except that I hope to have gained some wisdom over the years and, of course, I am aware that my body is not quite what it was 35 years ago.
I had a decent pre-birthday couple of days:
1. Marty sent me a lovely bouquet of fresh-cut flowers at my office on Friday. He told me, when I called him to thank him, that he wanted me to enjoy the flowers a bit before my birthday and that it was always fun to get flowers at the office.
2. My friend Mary-Jo (with whom I had had dinner Friday night, after not having seen her since last May - she had been out of town since late June, among others on a 25 day trip to South Africa and Namibia) stopped by yesterday morning and presented me with some farmers' market flowers, two presents from Namibia, and a birthday gift.
3. Rick and Claire sent me also a very nice bouquet of flowers, which arrived yesterday afternoon.
4. last night, Marty cooked me a very nice Indian dinner, and gave me a few birthday gifts, which were both fun and very nice.
Later on today, we are going to see The Constant Gardener, and he is taking me out to dinner afterwards.
My mother also called me from France to wish me a happy birthday. So, it's been quite nice so far.


8 Comments:
'appy burzdey, elisabeth!! have a fun one and eat lots of cake!
Happy birthday! You are only about four months older than I am. Have a very prosperous year.
(Tout droit de mon enfance, et de la votre aussi sans doute)
Bon anniversaire,
Nos voeux les plus sinceres
Que ces quelques fleurs
Vous apportent le bonheur
Que l'annee entiere
Vous soit douce et legere
Et que l'an fini
Nous soyons tous reunis
Pour chanter en coeur...
Bon anniversaire
I just learned that song last year, tomate. Best of all possible wishes, Elisabeth. Hope this year is prosperous, comfortable, and exciting.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bon anniversaire ma chère Elisabeth, que la vie t'apporte plein d'abat-jour (euh, c'est quoi le pluriel d'abat-jour ?!) en "découpage" !!
Elisabeth, happy birthday. As to the age and wisdom thing, I will tell you like my mother told me: if you still view the world at 50 the way you viewed it at 25 then you have wasted half of your life. Wisdom is to travel, and by travel I mean to journey within oneself, and the only refuge is self-discovery. Maybe I am just young and naïve, but that’s all I could conjure at this moment.
Thanks for all the good birthday wishes! I had a great birthday, close to three days of celebrating! However, I had no birthday cake, which is fine with me because I really do not have much of a sweet tooth.
Post a Comment
<< Home