My grandfather used to call...
Really bad beer "de la pissade de baudet" (donkey piss.) I mean, this was really nasty stuff, in the vein of Stella-Artois, which has - and this still baffles me to no end - gained snob appeal in the U.S., on the sole ground that it is a Belgian beer. Wake up call, friends: Not all Belgian beers are good!Well, now you too, my dear faithful readers, can secure a bottle of ice cold Horse Piss beer, which is brewed by the Bluegrass Brewing Company of Louisville, Kentucky, and bills itself as "Kentucky's Finest." Horse Piss beer is also a beer with a cause. As you probably know, Louisville is home to the Kentucky Derby, and there is a connection between Horse Piss beer and horse racing, since a percentage of the profits from its sales and those of related merchandise is donated to help disabled jockeys and adoption programs for horses.

Marty discovered this beer in a liquor store in Indianapolis, but did not buy a four-pack right away. We went back to this store on the day after I had arrived in Indianapolis but, by then, they were sold out of this novelty brew.
As a result, I haven't had a chance to taste Horse Piss beer yet, but hope to be able to do so some time in the future, since it can be ordered from Kahns Fine Wines in Indianapolis, Indiana. This lager gets an average score of C- from reviewers on the Beer Advocate website.And it keeps on getting classier: You can also purchase your very own "Get Pissed" t-shirt from the Bluegrass Brewing Company store, which features the brew logo (see image above) on its back.
Oh, and, by the way, what's the deal about not being able to view beer companies' websites if you're under 21? Is there some sort of underage internet police that actually monitors this?
Labels: beer, novelty items


5 Comments:
Yes, I always found the beer website monitor to be odd... don't they know it is so easy to lie about age?!?!?! I think there might be a law that requires websites of liquor to have it... just for show. Just like when you enter a porn site, you have give consent that you are of age, etc. (Not that I am familiar with porn sites) :)
I could walk two blocks and buy some Horse Piss beer. I've never tried it, even though the name makes me laugh.
Now I want to taste it, so I can tell you how it is! On the other hand, it might have to wait, since I've gone on the wagon in order to lose some weight. :)
I do enjoy a Stella once in a while, especially if the choice is between that and Heineken, which I deeply dislike. But I actually like dark ales better...
And, I don't know about Horse Piss, but talking about funny names, the Fat Bastard wine is absolutely disgusting.
Stella Artois and Jupiler are Belgian beers that we call "table beers", i.e. beers that you can drink along with a meal. They are quite tasty, not too strong, anyhow of much better quality than, for example, Heineken...
When I was in college, a small group of us used occasionally to play charades (sometimes in English and sometimes in Italian) in the refectory after lunch, to the amusement of people around us. The best reaction from our ever-changing public was to auspice, acted out by one of the group as: first syllable 'orse (loud whinneying); second syllable piss, which I leave to your imagination.
Post a Comment
<< Home