Feel free to call me a prude
Through Voix de Michèle, I connected to Minge's blog a couple of days ago. Now, Minge's blog is really quite cool - honest, and he and his partner look damn cute in kilts.
On one of his entries for Tuesday, May 9, Minge mentions that he had downloaded a song titled (Let Me Be Your) Dirty Fucking Whore by a band called Machine Gun Fellatio. Now, you can imagine with a band name and a song title like those, I was not exactly expecting any sort of church hymn (and, by the way, this one-track mind band has more songs with titles like Pussy Town, Throw Me On The Bed, Fuckface, and Drug Sex.) Well, no disappointment here - sung in a falseto voice by one of the band members (hard to tell, really, if it's a woman or a man singing - the band, which seems to be into cross-dressing, does have both male and female members and no, there was absolutely no pun intended here!) - the song lyrics are basically the words of a terribly horny woman begging her man - in pretty graphic terms - to "give it to her." I will not provide the lyrics to this song in this entry, but you can go and read them here. No doubt, you'll be edified (warning: those lyrics are not suitable for the office - you may not want to leave a trace on your office computer that you read song lyrics like those online.)
I have mentioned on this blog before that I despise pornography, and that I never watch it because I find it incredibly debasing to both women and men. I also really do not care much for such vulgarity in song lyrics (although I have to admit that I find the Vandals' It's Christmas Time for My Penis rather humorous, as I do find contributions by Neil's penis to some of his blog entries - but this is probably because neither of those involve any hard-core sex act performed on one individual by another.) The graphic description of sex acts performed in a quasi bestial manner ("good and hard," "long and hard," and "can't get enough" are some of the lyrics in the song - and these are very tame, believe you me!) is definitely not appealing to me - I frankly do not even find it funny, even though, in this song, it was absolutely meant to be.
I guess that this kind of stuff amuses men much more than it amuses women. And does the fact that I find those song lyrics extraordinarily tasteless make me a stuffy little prude? Well, maybe it does - and if that's the case, well, so be it.


10 Comments:
Hey, i was just randomly reading blogs and i ran across yours. I read those lyrics and i found them repulsive. Just because something as obscene as that offends you does not make you a prude. Those lyrics would offend anybody with real decency. Either that or im a prude too and dont know it.
My feeling is that true "obscenity" is certainly not only what we usually refer to as "pornography".
There are certainly a lot of things that are way more repulsive and disgusting than the rather mildly crude lyrics of that miserable song.
Think about it.
Does that make me lustful?
I think it takes all kinds. I can't say that I find the lyrics tasteful or even funny -- actually, they're pretty gross. But at the same time, I can guess where Minge might find them entertaining. Gay men have a culture all their own, and I've found it best to just smile, nod, and put my Ani diFranco tunes back on high volume. Since I don't have a penis of my own, I don't find jokes about them very funny. But some of the boys sure seem to.
Whatever, huh? Good post!
I don't know if it makes you a prude, but is it so bad to be a prude?
I think part of it is that they just like the shock value. That and they're just not very talented and lack real creativity.
Buerk!
How times have changed. I remember—a million years ago—thinking it so risqué when Mick Jagger sang, "I'm, a king bee, let me come inside" and "I can make honey ... ."
Elisabeth, I might start worrying if you find more objectionable links on my site!
I'm a prude, too, in case my dad comes by and asks.
I agree, there is nothing wrong with being a so-called prude.
These types of lyrics really don't deserve to be called lyrics, as they are neither pleasing or edifying. Some things just aren't funny. Things that degrade women or men aren't acceptable.
There's nothing wrong with being a prude, or however you wish to label yourself. It's better to be yourself than to pretend to be something you're not, something you want to or don't want to be.
You go, girl!
I just found it funny for the sake of parody. It's like an old time love song someone might sing to their sweetheart. You don't expect them to say they want to be your filthy fucking whore.
I guess I find humour in the strangest of places.
Usually, it must be said, in the gutter.
Thanks for all the traffic on my comments page!
I don't think that it's bad to be a prude and, in fact, I really do not consider myself one. I just couldn't relate to this song's humorous side - although I perfectly understand that some other people may find it very funny. My gay hairdresser (I would like to avoid stereotypes here, but the truth to the matter is that he is gay - he happens to be the partner of one of my favorite colleagues) sends me forward jokes and such via e-mail fairly regularly, and some of them are basically not to my taste at all - although I can understand why he would find them very funny.
Michèle - Don't you ever worry about links from your page. Your blog is your own creation, and what you put on it and other pages to which your link are totally up to you. If your dad ever asks me if you pass the Prude Test, I will tell him that, as far as I know, you do.
Neil - There was a News show somewhere, I can't remember if it was in England or another country, with naked anchorman and women (but do check this and this.
Passante - Right - and don't forget that The Rolling Stones' Let's Spend the Night Together was banned from at least some airwaves in the U.S. way back when...
Merritt and Midge - I admit that the whole "genre" of the song contrasts nicely with its lyrics. I had found hilarious this band named "Black Velvet Flag" who sings hardcore punk songs like lounge songs in the style of Frank Sinatra. I admit that he gap between one's expectations and what really is or happens creates an opportunity for great humor.
Believe me, Merritt, I know that you can greatly enjoy sex even if you're not gay and do not have a penis. And do not feel guilty by any means. Again, your blog is your own domain, and you put there whatever you see fit. If people don't like it, well, they don't have to come back, do they? You and Midge seem to be fine, smart, and very fun guys. I will keep on visiting your blogs too.
Merritt - Very good musings here. I have actually read tons about the "coming out" process (to oneself and to others) - due to circumstances in my own life (I am straight, BTW.) It is obvious that a lot of factors in the life of gay men (and women, I would think) leads them to have a somewhat "different" sense of humor.
Post a Comment
<< Home