HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!
My wishes came true, and the Steelers beat the pants off the San Diego Chargers this evening, and will play against the Baltimore Raven for the AFC championship game!YEAH, WAY TO GO STEELERS!!!!
Special congratulations to Santonio Holmes,
On another note, I had a WTF moment this afternoon. There was a little "New Year" Alliance Française get-together at the home of one of our members and it was a great success and a really good time. Of course, the TV was on for the first playoff game played today, opposing the Philadelphia Eagles and the New York Giants - the couple that was hosting this get-together has a big screen HD TV which made the viewing experience even more fun.
I am a football fan, and I was - while socializing politely and very pleasantly with everyone - following what was going on, and getting excited whenever the Eagles were doing well (they won, which made me happy, because I think that it would be cool to have an "all Pennsylvania" Superbowl.) Anyway, one member (who happens to be one of my colleagues) made a remark that I found entirely off the mark, as she insisted that it was so unlike me to like football, and when I told her that, indeed, I do like football and do care about the outcome of games (especially playoff ones), she chided me for caring about something that is utterly useless and irrelevant, adding that she really could not understand this behavior on my part (or on anyone's part for that matter.) I felt basically insulted by those comments. As if my liking and caring for football means that I am a sub-par moron. I am getting a little sick of people who think that they know me, and believe that it's o.k. to pass judgments on me on things that are really not that important.


3 Comments:
FYI it is Hines Ward, not Heinz Ward.
I always liked what Robin Williams's character (John Keating) had to say about sports in the movie Dead Poets Society: "Now, devotees may argue that one sport or game is inherently better than another. For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel."
Your colleague must be from Cleveland (or some other second rate football town).
cheers,
JK
JK - I wrote "Heinz" instead of "Hines" for two reasons:
1. I'm from Pittsburgh, the hometown of Heinz ketchup (and other Heinz products...)
2. To make sure that you were alert.
I think that it is quite charming and endearing that you are enthusiastic about football and that you share your enthusiasm with us! Fuck your tightass colleague. It's the little things that count!
Go Steelers, or whomever! I don't know jack about football and I'm from Oklahoma--a bastion of football if ever there was one--so I need you to care for me and others of my ilk!
Post a Comment
<< Home