As My World Turns
Musings about my life, my interests, and what makes me tick.
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
About Me

- Name: Elisabeth
- Location: Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
I was born and raised in France, and have lived in the US permanently since I was 23. I am a retired French professor; I taught at the university level for a bit over 20 years. My intellectual curiosity is insatiable, and I also think that I have a pretty decent sense of humor.
Quelle heure est-il?
- PITTSBURGH
- LILLE
The book(s) that I am currently reading:
- Moby Dick, by Herman Melville. About half-way through. So far, so good.
- The Book of Disquiet, by Fernando Pessoa. Love it so far!
Books that I have read so far in 2010:
- 1. L'Élégance du hérisson, by Muriel Barbery. Score: 4/5. Clever, perhaps a bit too consciously so.
Blogs that I read daily regularly:
- Paris, one photo a day Eric, a Parisian who writes in English, posts one cool photo of Paris each day.
- Voix de Michèle She's a teacher and a writer, you'll love her.
- Citizen of the Month Neil's blog will keep you intrigued. Frankly, I am always highly amused and entertained when I visit. And - he writes well, a must in my book.
- AliThinks Alison is an American who used to live in France. She is now back in the U.S. I found myself linking to her blog more than once through comments she had made on Neil's blog. Go visit it, you'll find it interesting.
- V-Grrrl in the Middle Go read the smart prose of this American Expat in Belgium. You will not regret it!
- Taller Than Average Tales Claire has the utmost merit of sharing her first name with my daughter; she is also an awesome writer and photographer.
- Why Travel to France? The Good, the Bad, and the Quirky Incredibly interesting blog kept by an American expat who lives in France.
- Inside the USA Blog kept by Jérome, a French guy who used to live in State College, PA, but is now back in France. He writes provocative thoughts about current events in France and in the U.S. Posts and comments are mostly in French, with some English here and there.
- Publish or Perish Paperback Writer has the merit to live in Pittsburgh. Her musings about the vicissitudes of life are well-written and quite fun.
- Under the Microscope Remiman appeared as a commenter on my blog fairly recently, and I like this francophile's blog very much.
- Blog of Rand Lex Ham Rand is a graduate student living in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and a friend of Michèle, I think. He is a great thinker and writer.
- Major Conflict J. Marquis has strong opinions about this country and its political life, and I agree with him close to 100% of the time.
- Jew Eat Yet? Danny stopped by my blog to wish me a happy birthday on September 4, which also happens to be his birthday. I thought I'd check his blog out, because he's a friend of Neil's. I was not disappointed!
- What's a Temporal Orbit? Blog kept by Tim, a dear friend from my neck of the woods. He is bright and always has fun things to say.
- Un jour à la fois The owner of this blog, Otir, is a French expatriate living in the U.S. (I don't know where). She is amazingly eloquent and writes with passion about a number of important issues. The first blogger I discovered through my Sitemeter! Note that this blog is written in French.
- Uh Oh Spaghettios Blog of Reb, who describes herself as a "French-American living in Lille [France], raising a Franco-American family, and fighting against excessive dog excrement" I just discovered this blog which, of course, is of interest to me since I am from Lille.
- A Tidings of Magpies For some reason, this blog fell off my blogroll when I cleaned it up. It's now back. Enjoy, it's great!
- Maîtresse A New Yorker who is is a PhD candidate in English literature at the Université de Paris VII. Found her from a comment on a two-year old post on my blog!
- Vertigo A Grad student in International Relations, who recently left a comment on my blog - A Renaissance woman with a very acute global awareness.
- The Late Bloomer An American expat living in Paris, and a brand new mom since 7/30/08. Go congratulate her on her blog!
- Half Way to France La Framéricaine defines herself as an American woman of "a certain age, with a French husband of long duration." This couple is getting ready to relocate to France in a not-too-distant future.
- The Unsubstantial Bubbles of Citronella I had lost this blog for a while, but I am so glad to have found it again! Citronella is, by her own definition, "Citronella is a French gal completing her PhD in computer science in the United States."
- And So Forth Betty C. commented on my blog, and that's how I got hooked to the blog of this American expat living in France - who also has another blog!
- Smart and Silly Socratics This blogger was on my blogroll for quite a while, and then quit blogging. She is now back, with a very recently adopted - and very cute - baby!
- Lynn's Weigh - The Journey Continues Lynn, a writer who lives in my hometown, and whose daughter was one of my star students some years ago, lost 168 lbs between 2005 and 2007! She is an amazing woman!
Fairly dormant blogs, but that I still keep on my blogroll, just in case
- Kitten goes to Columbus Julie Du is an amazing writer, who recently completed an MFA writing program at Ohio State.
- Tomate Farcie Blog kept by a French expat living in San Francisco. She posts both in English and French, but not regularly.
- Mélange SRP, a smart woman and a devoted mother, publishes a wonderful photo each day, to which she adds a great quote and insightful musings about her daily life.
- hey hey jen-nay I know very little about the owner of this blog, except that she is from the Pittsburgh area, and is a friend of one of my ex-students. Her blog is rather fun.
- The Peace Train I had to add this one to my blogroll, because it is the blog of one of my very favorite ex-students.
Surprise! This blog has become "private"
- Weight of My World JessiferSeabs is another blogger from Minneapolis who is just a remarkable individual who shares, in her wonderfully wrought posts, her life and times, which includes sticking to her diet and exercising. Frankly, I should heed her example.
French Journalists who live here and write about the U.S. (and also France)
- Big Picture: Croquis d'Amérique Blog of Corine Lesne, correspondent of Le Monde in Washington, DC.
- Stuff Parisians Like - Obviously inspired by the Stuff white People Like site.
- Rue 89 - Fun and incisive comments, mostly about political life - in French.
- La République des livres - Blog of the French writer Pierre Assouline, musings about literature - In French.
- France Magazine
- Miquelon.org watchdog group dedicated to documenting French-Bashing and Anti-French activity and monitoring the news and entertainment media. Miquelon's activities are of a purely academic and charitable in nature.
- Official Site of the City of Paris


11 Comments:
Well, that has got to be one of the best posts you've had Elisabeth. I can't tell you how frustrated I am over here watching the U.S. politics and feeling like nobody is doing anything about it. This at least gives me a little encouragement. There's a difference between being patriotic and supporting the President, and being patriotic and supporting the values of the U.S. and our ability to take things into our own hands. Thank you so much for sharing this video. Thank you also to Jerome!
This video is awesome.
I totally second Michael's comment.
But I doubt there will be any drastic change after this mid-term election. After all, George W. Bush is the commander-in-chief of a country at war. I am convinced that most voters will finally remain faithful to him and his puzzlesome politics.
I just hope I am wrong.
Je suis arrivée ici via le commentaire de Michael sur Paris Daily Photo. Espérons que les votes iront dans le bon sens... enfin ! C'aurait été mieux si les américains avaient compris plus tôt mais mieux vaut tard que jamais.
Mais en Australie c'est pas gagné non plus, le premier ministre John Howard est le meilleur copain de votre grand president: un membre actif de la coalition des braves... yeah !
Votez bien, sous les encouragements lointains de vos amis downunder !
Thanks for the video! I've sent it to just about everyone I know!
I do believe there will be some change today. But unfortunately, we cannot vote GW and his evil sidekick out.
And Nathalie, some of us DID know the truth a long time ago...way before Iraq. But like most things (smoking..had to throw that in) most people are gullible.
F*cking awesome, Elisabeth.
Thanks for the vid. I had already voted before I saw it, but it still energized me.
I'm on a DoD computer and all streaming video is blocked, so I won't be able to see the video until I get home. The enthusiastic comments have me very curious.
I voted on my way to work this morning. On the ballot here in Virginia is a proposed amendment to define marriage as the union between and a man and a woman, and I definitely wanted to vote "no" on that.
Not quite sure I follow the relation Neil, but thanks for reminding me anyway ;-)
Elisabeth,
I voted at 0630 this morning. The video reaffirmed the reasons I voted the way I did.
Sure don't know how the elections will turn out but there seems to be more enthusiasm for change this year.
I 'm confident bushy will tell us all we need to know. :-(( RDB...(Rire Dehors Bruyamment)
rel
P.S Elisabeth, whenever I think I'm busy I think about you and it gives me some perspective. :-)
Brilliant video! I watched it just before I went to vote, and sent the youtube site to some friends.
Oh and "Freedom" with George... ::dramatic pause:: love it!
Thanks everyone for the great comments and, Michael, a special thank you for the link from PDP.
Neil - I am sorely aware that France is just ahead of the U.S. as an arms dealer. Sad, indeed.
Passante - Those damn "gay marriage" referendums have me foaming at the mouth. Frankly, who cares about the so-called "sanctity" of marriage? Most marriages end up in divorce anyway, don't they?
I will be watching the returns tonight, during commercials while watching NCIS and Boston Legal.
No apologies needed Neil...I just didn't understand the link. I am also finding it hard to get the full election results in one place, but guess it's still not over (it's 6:30am here).
Enjoyed passing it on Elisabeth. Who can't like the irony between George Michael and George Bush. Maybe they could get one of those gay marriages going. LOL
Post a Comment
<< Home